List:       sendmail
Subject:    Re: fetchmail sending mail to root
From:       Andrzej Filip <anfi () box43 ! pl>
Date:       2003-03-06 9:49:16

Ivan Carey wrote:
> Hello,
> When I invoke fetchmail from root's crontab it sends root an email saying
> that it has done a fetch.
> crontab entry:
>     0,30,59 * * * * /usr/local/bin/fetchmail
>
> Is there a way to stop getting these messages each time fetchmail starts

IMHO it is not necessary to run fetchmail as root (it creates potential
security risk)

Start fetchmail with "--logfile filename" option. It should make
fetchmail write its notifications to filename instesd of stdout/stderr.
Cron send stdout/stderr ouptut of executed jobs via email
(good exit code and no output => no mail)

--
Andrzej [pl>en: Andrew] Adam Filip http://www.polbox.com/a/anfi/
reaction==action *Random epigram* :