List:       quanta-devel
Subject:    Re: [quanta-devel] how to proceed with Quanta?
From:       Andras Mantia <amantia () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-12-14 10:47:46

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

On Monday 12 December 2005 01:51, Jens Herden wrote:
> > I would like to go this way. KDevelop is also planning an
> > intermediate release, why not do together?
>
> yes, we could do this together but I do not see any need to do so.
> Kuanta should work on older KDevelop versions as well, shouldn't it?

That's a bonus, but I don't see it as a requirement. It might happen
that we need a change in KDevelop to make things right. In that case we
should just do it and require the new KDevelop. Otherwise I think
targetting KDevelop from KDE 3.5 is fine. When we are at the point to
release Kuanta, KDE 3.5 will be already out since some months, so
getting binaries for most distros should be no problem.

> > So let's do it as fast as we can and switch to 2.
>
> I do not agree on "as fast as we can" because I think we should use
> the opportunity of getting feedback for Kuanta.

But we need time to do the actual KDE4 port as well. People are porting
applications and libraries since months and still, it is far from being
usable. Most of the KDE projects are working on the KDE4 version right
now. I think KDevelop and Quanta are the exceptions from those who
usually ship together with the main KDE releases. I think delaying the
port and doing in 3 months is not good.

> That means we should
> implement some new code to see what is broken early enough. If we
> wait with the radical changes in the code and introduce them in
> Quanta 4 only we get only feedback about ported old code from Quanta
> 3 to Kuanta.

This all depends when will KDE 4 appear and what is the release schedule
for it. If it has a longer alpha/beta period, we might get more
feedback. Also there is no guarantee people will switch to Kuanta,
especially that I'm sure we cannot port everything right now, and this
will mean the old Quanta will be more usable for many.

> So my suggestion is to do some of the radical changes before we
> release Kuanta. So Kuanta would be the layground for our architecture
> changes.

I don't oppose, but we need still need a deadline and some kind of
roadmap. I suggest to release sometime in February or March. This gives
us 3 months to do it. The current Kuanta was done in 6 weeks (ok,let's
say 4-5), so this should be enough. Also let's try to make a plan how
and who will do what. First what should we do:
1) a new parser which does not use string search, but does a char by
char parsing. Jens is convinced that this will be faster. This should
not affect how the parsing result is stored, so in theory we can have
both parsers in parallel.
2) store the parsing result in a KDOM tree. This should not depend on
the parser itself. So *in theory* 1 and 2 can be done independently.
3) once 2 is done, port or rewrite VPL

The above are the main arhitectural changes. Of course 1) can be broken
is several subitems, like rethinking how we proceed with included files
and so. Or even how the autocompletion is done. A unitt est for the
parser is also a must. It's just too easy to brake something and not
notice without an automated test.

Than there are the missing pieces and bugs in the current port, see the
TODO.
Than there are the other kdewebdev applications. Who will port them to
KDE4? Will we keep them? Are the maintainers or original authors of
those applications still around and wanting to take care of them? If
not, we need to find manpower to do it or - sad, but true - drop them.

> I would not decide a deadline, I'd rather think about what we need
> and implement this. We can release when we think it is ready.
It will never be ready. ;-)

Andras