List:       quanta-devel
Subject:    Re: [quanta-devel] how to proceed with Quanta?
From:       Jens Herden <jens () kdewebdev ! org>
Date:       2005-12-12 0:52:50

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Hi Eric,

I do not quote the long mail, what I write is related to your ideas about the
new modularity.

Let me try to express what I understood:
We need a way to merge and unmerge code blocks (I'll call it objects here)
into existing documents (I'll call it template here). Let's say we have an
HTML template where we would define some merge points, like for CSS-LINK,
SCRIPT, MENU, FOOTER etc. and then we would merge this with other files which
provide objects for a CSS-LINK and a FOOTER or a SCRIPT and a MENU. Drag and
Dropping an objects file on top of a template would search for matching merge
points and magically melt the code together. Of course we would be able to
unmerge at any given time and a change in the objects file would start an
adoption run to adjust all documents which use the objects.

Reading your text and having some ideas myself brings me to the first question
about the implementation:

Where should we store the needed meta information?
We can create a syntax to add them into comments or we can create external
files. I am a strong advocate for inline storing to avoid any syncing problem
when you change the document in a normal editor.

Some other random questions:
- do we need to be able to nest objects in objects?
- do we need to have parameters or variables for objects that you have to fill
before merging? This would be solvable with nested objects as well.
- do we need a kind of export that creates plain documents without meta-data?

Another sidenote: It would be sweet to have command line tools to make the
merge/unmerge/update scriptable.

Jens