List:       quanta-devel
Subject:    Re: [quanta-devel] Help With Getting Source Code (bunzip2,
From:       Randy Kramer <rhkramer () gmail ! com>
Date:       2005-09-20 18:46:45

On Tuesday 20 September 2005 01:50 pm, Andras Mantia wrote:
> On Tuesday 20 September 2005 19:20, Randy Kramer wrote:
> >    * I want to edit a plain text file with TWiki markup, filter that
> > to HTML, and then (internally) preview that as rendered HTML.
> >
> > So, without knowing C or C++ (but having made some attempt to learn
> > them at least twice), I'd like to dig into Quanta's source code and
> > see if I can make any progress toward my goal.

Thanks for the reply!

> Is there a tool to render twiki markup to HTML?

Yes, the obvious one being TWiki (a wiki) itself.

> Can a webserver do it?

Yes, in the form of TWiki (which is written in Perl).

> If yes, you can use the same approach as we do with PHP preview: use a
> preview prefix and view the files through a web server.

That, iiuc, would be your external preview.  Based on my experience so far,
that would not be nearly fast enough to suit my needs / desires.

One of the problems is it seems (unless I'm missing something or version 3.2.0
is that far behind the leading edge), each time an update (a new piece of
HTML) is sent to a browser for the external preview, a new instance of the
browser is initiated, thus I have to wait for the startup of the browser.

There are some other factors that I haven't raised so far, some of which might
be relevant to your suggestion:

   * I want (in most cases) the rendering to be driven by the text editor--I
want to issue a command in the text editor to have a new piece of TWiki
markup rendered, I don't want to go to the browser and pull (request) a new
piece.

   * I don't think this is directly relevant, but another thing I didn't
mention is that the TWiki marked up text file contains multiple records
(separated by a(n arbitrary, i.e., changable) record separator, currently
"\n---++ ").  Almost always, I will send only one record of TWiki text for
rendering at a time.  Further, I don't want to send that text to a file
(either disk based or RAM based) as an intermediate step--either one will
slow things down unacceptably.

Describing my speed goal (with my tongue deeply in cheek), if I have one of
these files with say 2000 records and 2 MB (characters), in nedit (the editor
I currently use for the purpose) I can scroll through all 2000 records in
about a second.  (How fast can you move the elevator bar on an application
like nedit ;-)  I'd like to get as close as possible to that kind of speed in
the next generation of my project.

(I'm somewhat stuck on nedit at the moment as I've built some functionality
into it using its macro capability.  Not sure I can do the same with
kate/kwrite--I'll probably be looking, at least in the first Quanta based
iteration, on using nedit instead of kate/kwrite.  Don't know how difficult
that might be.)

Anyway:

   * thanks for the opportunity to expound a little bit more about the
project ;-)

   * why do you ask--is the internal preview feature going away?

regards,
Randy Kramer