List:       quanta-devel
Subject:    Re: [quanta-devel] Re: Using KDOM in Quanta
From:       Paulo Moura Guedes <moura () kdewebdev ! org>
Date:       2005-06-08 1:31:01

On Wednesday 08 June 2005 01:58, Jens Herden wrote:
> > I'm debugging the parser and maybe build some prototype to see what we
> > can do with this. I'm currently testing with libxml.
>
> Good, I am curious to read about results.
> But what are the specifications you are testing? Or in other words what are
> you looking for that the parser must do?

Everything!
Now serious, I just tested a few things.

> It is not enough that it parses, it must also provide information about the
> location in the source; it must be flexible so that we can control the
> parsing from the outside with configuration files, like we do now in
> Quanta.

That information will be added to the DocumentBuilder. I informed kdom people
about this need and there are already a solution in the DOM API so it only
needs some adjustments. There shouldn't be a problem with that, but I will
send a request to the ksvg-devel mailing-list so everyone can aggree.

> It must be able to detect things like Javascript inside of a
> comment. It must somehow accept tags without the trailing ">" and mark the
> as non closed...
>
> In general spoken we can not loose features that our current parser
> provides and I am very sceptical that any existing parser does what we
> want. I would predict that using an existing libray is not a solution for
> us.

Currently one can only test the two parsers which are in kdom/backend, i.e.,
libxml2 and QXML.... Niko said that those aren't suitable for HTML and that
they will port the current khtml parsing stuff into khtml2.

I suggest that we make a list of things that the parser should be smart with
(you already started and I can't help much with it) and then ask some place
if it is supported by the KHTML parser. If not, we have to write our own
parser, deriving from KDOM::Parser.
We have some examples in KDOM but I guess Andras is the only one capable of
doing such thing :)

P.S.: We shouldn't be thinking of making a proposition to google?
--
Paulo Moura Guedes

Linux Caixa Mágica  - http://caixamagica.org
KDE Web Development - http://kdewebdev.org