List:       quanta-devel
Subject:    Re: [quanta-devel] CSS ideas
From:       Luciano Gulmini <gulmini.luciano () student ! unife ! it>
Date:       2005-04-26 18:03:03

Paulo Moura Guedes ha scritto:
Hi Paulo,

>Hi,
>
>I'm thinking of improving the CSS support in Quanta a little:
>
>1. Preview of CSS documents. The user would be asked to choose the HTML/XML
>file to show against the current CSS doc. We also could supply a default
>example file (based on the CSS) when no HTML document is chosen.

This is already implemented in the CSS selector editor : the url
requester at the end of the dialog has this function ( note that the css
file is applied following the rules of the cascade mechanism, i.e. if
you define a selector already defined in the xhtml/xml document  ,then ,
the rendering will use this instead of the latter ). More, you can also
edit this css file while previewing it.

>2. Provide the option of linking a CSS doc to several HTML files. This should
>be project oriented.

Good idea.

>3. Add support for choosing between several style definitions (CSS1, CSS2)
>including the browsers compatibility. This would allow making a report of the
>stylesheet saying which rules would be problematic and only display the
>available attributes within the current style definition.

I don't know whether this is a good idea or not. Current browsers are
all standard compliant
and behave all the same way and so the don't present compatibility
issues. The usage of not so recently browsers is now marginal.

>4. Add a "style editor/inspector" similar to the attribute editor when editing
>CSS files.

The css editor and the css selector editor are already capable of
editing css files showing the current properties assigned to a specific
selector. I think what you suggest would be a doubling of the latters. I
also think the your idea will be a good one when the VPL will be fully
functional : in this case I think the css editor will be obsolete.

>5. Also add a style editor in HTML/XML files, updating the stylesheet that the
>document imports and, eventually, the current style block (though I don't
>like this idea much).
>
>I didn't start to implement this already so you people can rant at will ;)

Luciano