List:       quanta-devel
Subject:    Re: [quanta-devel] VPL toolbars
From:       Eric Laffoon <sequitur () easystreet ! com>
Date:       2005-03-09 6:43:12

On Tuesday 08 March 2005 08:11 am, Andras Mantia wrote:
> On Tuesday 08 March 2005 18:01, Paulo Moura Guedes wrote:
> > On Tuesday 08 March 2005 15:42, Andras Mantia wrote:
> > [...]
> >
> > > But I don't like the idea, especially if in the long term you want
> > > VPL to be not HTML specific.
> >
> > Can you elaborate on that, I'm not seeing your point.
>
> I say that if we support docbook for example in VPL, will we create a
> set of docbook toolbars for source and another set for VPL? Doesn't
> make sense for me.
>
> Andras
I agree with Andras, but I know what's frustrating Moura, and I've said we
should do something about this at some time. Here is one thing I think is
central to what is wrong and Andras I think you should consider this more
because as yet you have been less than enthusiastic.

In VPL we need to insure that what we do is 100% compliant, both because we
want to be compliant and because variations add complexity. Our toolbars
currently add tags as mere text blocks with some basic ability to handle
simple XML rules, and while this is generally okay it creates a mess with VPL
and doesn't make sense with our general design. They also add an irrational
redundancy for users and constrict one idea I've had to make them more useful
for DocBook. Following are problems.

1) If I want to add a tag for a DTEP I have to define it. This is in contrast
to the design imperative of Quanta to do the most work in redundant areas for
users and provide the most efficiency. This also opens up the possibility of
errors, but it is the fact that when I am working I don't want to be
distracted for any length of time to improve things. I want improvements to
be as painless as possible because I don't have time to do a cost benefit
analysis on whether it will save me time.
2) The idea that these toolbar buttons may be enabled and disabled in context
is a nightmare because in the scheme of our design they are a relic of
meaningless disconnected data. Dealing with this means establishing
connections and complex rules for VPL which duplicate our already rich and
useful DTEP.
3) If we wanted to add a picklist type menu of tags to a toolbar it would be
very difficult because we have no way to do this.
4) If my toolbars were tied to my DTEP so that adding a button would access
DTEP information we could possibly reverse this for custom DTEPs so that
adding a tag not in the DTEP could enable a dialog to help define it in the
DTEP. This way creating an XML dialect for data for instance might help to
generate a DTEP or DTD->DTEP on the fly, which would be very cool.

I've said before that a picklist like menu, similar to the dropdown menus on
some toolbar buttons, would be very useful for something like DocBook.
Regardless the benefits for VPL from generating a contextural relationship
between toolbars and DTEPs would be be significant, and it wouldn't hurt text
mode either.

Currently we can create new button Actions as
* Tags
* Text blocks
* Scripts
What I propose is to add "DTEP linked tags" and make them the default. So we
have the following:
1) DTEP tags - always active, contextural in VPL, optionally contextural in
text
2) old style tags - always disabled in VPL
3) text bocks - disabled in VPL, these can be replaced by templates in
standard use anyway and the templates can have information about what their
top tag block is so that they can be used in VPL
4) scripts - this is a can of worms in VPL so I leave it to the more
ambitious. ;-)

Eric