List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Quanta Replacement
From:       Karl Ness <itsinthewiki () gmail ! com>
Date:       2013-05-29 19:18:40

[Attachment #2 (multipart/alternative)]

I would second Aptana 3 as a replacement. Once I moved off of Quanta, I
started using a ton of different editors. I mainly do front-end work, so I
was mainly working with PHP, HTML, CSS and JS.

Here's a short list of editors I've used:

Eclipse w/webtools - Loved it when I was working on the SFDC platform.
Everything you need and more.

Aptana 3 - gets a little slow when I'm running the Git plugin for it, and
the auto-complete seemed slow as well, but liked how easy to was it
integrate with SVN and set up virtually any environment for it. Lots of
good plugins for it since its basically an Eclipse clone.

Komodo Edit - love it. fast, tons of plugins, great code hints and syntax
highlighting.

Dreamweaver - ok, but missing a lot of the features I loved in Quanta and
other IDE's.

Visual Studio - never was a PC guy, but had to use it in my last gig since
the company was a big MS client. Was impressed with the features and
functionality. If you're doing any ASP.NET work, it's a no-brainer. I heard
there's a similiar Linux editor called MonoDevelop which is available if
you're a die hard Linux person.

Brackets - newer IDE from Adobe. Still in Beta release, but I like what I
see so far. Already lots of plugins, some of the basic features are still
missing like syntax highlighting (there's a plugin for css, but not for
HTML and other languages) and integration with GIT.

Besides Visual Studio and Brackets (they say it's "open source" but
apparently not for people using Linux. lol) the rest are all suitable
replacements for Qunata users. Of course it's hard to replace something as
good as Quanta.