List:       quanta
Subject:    [Quanta]  Future of Quanta
From:       "Dr. Robert Marmorstein" <robert () narnia ! homeunix ! com>
Date:       2011-12-31 19:17:06

Given the thread about alternatives to Quanta, I wanted to talk to open up
a discussion about moving Quanta forward.

As I understand it, Quanta is essentially being maintained now by Milian
Wolff who is involved in many other KDE projects and is a pretty busy guy.
That means that the project is badly in need of developers to help him out
and get things back on track.  Even if you have no programming experience,
there are many ways you can contribute (creating templates, testing,
writing documentation, submitting bug reports), but the project definitely
needs more people who can update the C++ code.

The decision to switch Quanta 4 to a think skin on top of kdevplatform had
some interesting consequences for the GUI layout.  It's essentially now an
entirely different program from Quanta3.  I've tried to submit some
patches that make it more usable for my HTML design workflow, but I've had
difficulty understanding the differences between a "file template" and a
"project template" in the new Quanta.

I also looked into porting Quanta 3 directly to Qt4 and KDE4 (under a new
name), but it relies heavily on several GUI classes that were removed from
Qt4 and have no direct equivalents.  I will continue this effort, simply
because I think it's worthwhile just to have an alternative stream of
development, but I'd also like to help push the ball down the road further
on the new Quanta.

I have very limited time (I have a day job and also contribute to KOffice
and a few other tools), but I'd like to ask the current Quanta developers
to take a few minutes and post a list of tasks where they could most use
help.  I figure there are probably enough on this list with SOME
programming experience (even if only in PHP) that we can help get
development kickstarted again.

Thanks!

Robert