List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] using quanta with gnome
From:       Mike McCallister <workingwriter () prodigy ! net>
Date:       2010-08-15 16:10:33

On Friday, August 13, 2010 05:22:00 pm Henry Bever wrote:

> Can I make this work without adding a zillion individual files as
needed?
> Or is there an easy way to install KDE as an alternate desktop I can
> choose? When I search on Google and OpenSuSE for things like
"moving from
> gnome to kde", nothing relevant seems to come up. When I used
other
> distros, I always seemed to be able to move between the two
desktops.

Henry,

Installing KDE4 on openSUSE 11.2 should be fairly easy. I'm running
v11.3, so some things may be different, but probably not too much.

Go to YaST > Software Management (or Install/Remove Software). Click
the Patterns tab; you should see KDE 4 Desktop Environment and KDE
4 Base System (and maybe even KDE 3.5--I'm not sure what options
11.2 has). Check the boxes next to the pattern names in the left pane
to select the appropriate packages. Review the list(s) in the right
pane to see if there's anything else you want. Click Accept to install.

You can decide what desktop to boot on login by using the Session
Type option on the login screen.

The things people have been saying about running Quanta on KDE4
are true, so I wish you the best of luck in that regard.

Let me know if you have questions or other problems.

Mike McCallister