List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Kubuntu 9.10
From:       Billie Erin Walsh <bilwalsh () swbell ! net>
Date:       2009-11-02 0:48:27

James Ellis wrote:
> Hi
>
> Quanta + KDE4 works completely well, you just have to remember that
> Quanta is a KDE3 app and to install Qt3 libraries etc (aptitude search
> libqt3 for starters on the shell). There is a dependency issue as as
> been mentioned but you can get around that by installing the KDE3
> versions of the dependencies. KDE4 has been around since Jan 2008 so
> you can't really blame the distro or KDE4 in itself as the problem if
> they decide to leave non-updated KDE3 apps behind (I think Quanta and
> the nearly-ready K3b are the only major ones left ?) I've had hoth
> KDE3.5 and KDE4 running on the same laptop and the resource usage is
> about the same. I have KDE4 running on a 6yr old with 1G RAM and a 64M
> nvidia card - startup in karmic actually got faster as has the
> desktop. I'd never go back.

 From what I've seem your right. Installing QT/KDE 3 stuff is the patch.

Next question is how is that accomplished? I have Kwebdev 3.x but can't
figure out how to install it.The DEB won't install. Following the
instructions for the tar.gz/source(?) don't work.

> Personally, I think the move to get Quanta4 going as a web oriented
> version of Kdevelop4 is a great idea as it doesn't mean reinventing
> the wheel. The benefits of using Qt4 Webkit should be seen as a good
> example for doing this (think previews)

Hope it doesn't screw it straight into the ground with to much.

> The KDE developers have made it pretty clear that KDE3.5 will still be
> around if you want to use it -- you just have to find a distro that
> will support it. For me, I see KDE4 as a huge improvement both
> technically and in the UI/desktop. The ability to easily script
> widgets for the desktop is something web developers should be very
> excited about.
>
> For those experiencing load/CPU issues, a good first step is to work
> out what's actually causing it. For starters, install the CPU widget
> on the desktop and watch as you turn Desktop Effects off (if you don't
> need them, turn them off) or shut-down programs. As an example, I had
> a churning CPU through KDE4.3 which turned out to be the Magic
> Lamp/Minimise effects, for which there is a bug report on bugs.kde.org
> <http://bugs.kde.org>. I read it, turned them off and bingo.
>
> My biggest complaint is the seeming lack of resources in Ubuntu to
> investigate and fix Kubuntu bugs. Karmic seems to the first release
> where KDE4 has actually gotten some energy behind it (whether from
> Canonical or elsewhere, I don't know).
>
> HTH
> James
>

> On Sat, Oct 31, 2009 at 8:13 AM, marbux <marbux@gmail.com
> <mailto:marbux@gmail.com>> wrote:
>
>     On Fri, Oct 30, 2009 at 2:08 PM, Alan Richmond
>     <alan@aardwolfweb.com <mailto:alan@aardwolfweb.com>> wrote:
>     > On Friday 30 October 2009 13:26:57 marbux wrote:
>     >> Quanta 3.x works kinda-sorta on KDE 4, although I haven't bothered
>     >> with trying to fix the issues you mention that I also
>     experienced. For
>     >> me, the fact that the Quanta HTML Tidy results editing screen
>     is too
>     >> tiny to read or edit anything was a showstopper on KDE 4 for me. .
>     >>
>     >> There may be other issues as well.
>     >
>     > I just upgraded from 3.5.10 to 4.3.1 last week on Gentoo and
>     haven't had any
>     > issues with Quanta at all.  (Well, it did take me WAY to long to
>     find the "Q+"
>     > icon to add it to the KDE4 menu.)  HTML Tidy results works like
>     always, too.
>     > Maybe because it's a parallel install.
>
>     Might be a screen resolution difference too.
>
>     Paul
>
>     --
>     Universal Interoperability Council
>     <http:www.universal-interop-council.org
>     <http://www.universal-interop-council.org>>

Treat all stressful situations like a dog does.
If you can't eat it or play with it,
just pee on it and walk away

Sent with Thunderbird on my Kubuntu Linux Desktop