List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Quanta about to leave Debian unstable /-:
From:       Arthur Marsh <arthur.marsh () internode ! on ! net>
Date:       2009-05-20 16:27:58

James Ellis wrote, on 2009-05-15 09:46:
> To keep it on-topic with Quanta - I don't see any of the problems that have
> been mentioned here regarding Quanta and KDE4. I've hardly seen it crash on
> KDE4, in fact it crashes less than it did on KDE3 and uses less  resources
> than it did on KDE3.
> Quanta is also the last major KDE application I use that hasn't made the port
> to KDE4 -- so we can't blame all the issues on KDE4 (yes, I understand the
> reasons why this has happened).
>
> So  I guess some answers for KDE4 / Quanta 3 users could be, based on some of
> the threads here and elsewhere:
> * are you using the latest KDE4 version for your distro (4.2.3 in Kubuntu) ?
> * do you have all the available qt3 libraries installed for your distro ?
> * is your distro actively supporting KDE as a core desktop environment?
> (kubuntu and suse seem to be the two main distros in that regard). If not, run
> up a livecd and test one of those two out to see if things are better. I don't
> know - is Debian really suited to desktop work ?
> * if you are really having troubles using a Quanta feature can you use another
> method (e.g uploads to a remote server - I use Bazaar version control for all
> that)
> * register descriptive, reusable bug reports for your distro and/or KDE - one
> useful way to get bugs fixed! I doubt the KDE developers are going to scan
> mailing lists and say "oh! there's a bug that could be fixed".
> * if all else fails stick with KDE3.5 - it's there just not being maintained.
>
> Whatever happens, KDE 4 is the future of KDE.
>
> HTH
> James

Sorry for the delay in replying, I have been busy with work.

I'm running KDE 3.5.x on Debian on two machines:

i386 on a PII-266 with 384 MiB RAM, 250 GiB hdd, Radeon 9200SE [RV280];

and:

amd64 on a dual-core Athlon64 with 4 GiB RAM, 500 GiB hdd, Radeon 3200
HD [RS780] (no accelerated 3d video yet, but the radeonhd team are
working on it).

Both machines are currently using Debian unstable but with the core
parts of KDE still at the 3.5.X level.

What I may attempt is to install all the packages that I use on the old
machine onto the new machine, *THEN* attempt to upgrade the new machine
to KDE 4.2.3. This should give me the chance to get KDE 4.X working on
the new machine whilst giving me a fall-back of using KDE 3.5.X on the
old machine.

Hopefully Debian will not drop Quanta Plus 3.5.X from unstable but will
address any compatibility issues with KDE 4.X by altering any
build/library dependency requirements as necessary.

In the meantime, if there is a low-overhead way to contribute cash to
Quanta towards a KDE 4.X port, I might be able to make a donation.

Arthur.