List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Quanta & KDE4? openSuSE dumping KDE3 for 11.2 Release.
From:       "David C. Rankin" <drankinatty () suddenlinkmail ! com>
Date:       2009-04-19 21:04:22

Sasha Andric wrote:
>>> Perhaps the way forward would be to set up a partition or virtual
>>> machine with opensuse 11.2 beta (or other distros that are abandoning
>>> KDE3), try installing quanta in that, and, as David suggests, start
>>> filing bug reports.
>>>
>>> Cheers
>>> Ian
>
> There is only that much you can get from beating dead horse and KDE3 is dead
> and so is Quanta that requires it. If you want to help yourself, Quanta (and,
> the most important - me:) ) forget about Quanta 3 - time invested in it is
> time wasted and it just prolongs inevitable. Only help that can make any
> difference is getting developers and sponsors interested in Quanta 4 that  runs
> on KDE4.
>
> Sasha

	Sasha, I hear you and I am *not* advocating for any resurrection of quanta
3.5. What I'm advocating for is a working quanta on kde4 whether that be a
patched 3.5 or new 4. Irregardless of what form it takes --- it should work,
(period). We should not see distributions consider it OK to release partially
working apps, even though, in reality, most linux distributions today are
nothing more than beta for the commercial offerings of their corporate owners.

	I'm all for Quanta4 on KDE4, but until that time, I would (as anyone else
should) expect a working quanta from those distributions that are forcing
half-baked KDE4 on their user communities.

	KDE3 isn't dead, it's working flawlessly with quanta 3.5. Something the
advocates of kde4 can't quite seem to get through their heads or don't want to
admit. Until KDE4 is ready to go, and can step up to the functionality provided
by kde3, we should not be sacrificing functionality on false promises of
performance that does not exist at present.

	Currently moving to kde4 is like trading in your 'vett for a 3-wheeled Yugo.
Functionality is like a box of chocolates, "you never know what you are going
to get."

--
David C. Rankin, J.D.,P.E.
Rankin Law Firm, PLLC