List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Quanta & KDE4? openSuSE dumping KDE3 for 11.2 Release.
From:       Ray <ray () stilltech ! net>
Date:       2009-04-16 16:04:46

On Thursday 16 April 2009 02:23:30 Ian Smith wrote:
> Jens, I think you misunderstood David's point - he is talking about
> opensuse 11.2, which presumably won't include kdebase3-runtime, or any
> other part of KDE3 for that matter.
>
> Actually, if you compare the proposed timing of the 11.2 release with
> recent postings by Eric on this list, Quanta 4 could be ready for release
> by the same time.
>
> Having said that, I am surprised and disappointed by the lack of support
> Quanta gets from the larger FOSS community. I would think that the sort of
> people that do web design would be just the sort of people that are likely
> to experiment with GNU/Linux BSD and so forth.
>
> However without a decent WYSIWYG *and* text development environment (with
> all due respect to Bluefish, NVU et al, they are all lacking on at least
> one side of that), then it is going to be very difficult to get those
> people to forsake their beloved Dreamweaver!
>
> Anyway, I'm sure I'm just preaching to the choir here. Thanks David for
> reminding me, I promised a while ago to start lobbying for better support
> in other forums.
>
> Perhaps the way forward would be to set up a partition or virtual machine
> with opensuse 11.2 beta (or other distros that are abandoning KDE3), try
> installing quanta in that, and, as David suggests, start filing bug
> reports.
>
> Cheers
> Ian
>
> 2009/4/16 Jens Herden <jens@kdewebdev.org>:
> > Am Donnerstag 16 April 2009 02:34:06 schrieb David C. Rankin:
> >> I can't use fish to upload files, etc
> >
> > go and install "kdebase3-runtime".
> > Her on Opensuse 11.1 it contains the fish protocol.
> >
> > Jens

Hello,
I'm not sure if this is relevant, but I have been using Quanta on KDE4
(Kubuntu) for about 6 months now. Maybe I just don't use the advanced
features, but I haven't had any problems.
I agree that Quanta is a very good tool, and is probably one of the big
reasons that I've stuck with Linux.
Ray