List:       quanta
Subject:    [Quanta] aKademy status update
From:       Eric Laffoon <eric () kdewebdev ! org>
Date:       2008-08-25 18:00:54

Hi all,
I've been back from the conference in Belgium long enough to be over my jet
lag. KDE 4.1 is looking pretty nice. Versions 4.2 and 4.3 should start to
look really amazing. Qt4 offers a lot of great features.

Here are a few interesting things I got from the conference. For one Prashanth
Udupa, an Indian developer, has created Qt pluggable objects which have a
number of interesting capabilities including the ability to function as
objects on remote systems. I plan on using this with Kommander, which will
mean user created plugins for Quanta. It could also be directly integrated.

Another interesting development was the commitment from Nokia (Trolltech)
developers to actively develop Webkit. Webkit has the ability to
interactively control web display from the browser with scripting, among
other things. It is the easiest and most powerful tool for building a visual
development mode ever.

Perhaps the most exciting development for Quanta was Andras and I talking with
Niko Sams. He has been coding on Quanta as a volunteer and expressed an
interest in helping more with the project. Niko is great. It doesn't seem
like that long ago he was asking novice user questions and now he is a
programmer. I also started writing C++ since coming to the project. If you're
interested in contributing this way the docs and community support are
unbelievable.

Currently I'm extremely busy with an expansion of my business that starts in a
few weeks. However I am hoping to have time to manage the project and I'm
sure I will as now processes in my business start to run smoother with time.
I'll be looking for new developers and open to sponsored developers as well
as volunteers.

Quanta needs a few months of serious programming for a good KDE 4.1 release,
but it is part of the way there including a new parser that is much faster.
I'd like to say we could have it done by the end of the year and that is a
possiblity, but more likely it would be early next year. There is currently
not the active development there was in the past and bringing that up to
speed will take some time.

If you aren't coding and want to contribute financially to the project you can
go to http://kdewebdev.org/donate.php.
--
Eric Laffoon
Project Lead - kdewebdev module