List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] issues with installation
From:       "Mihamina Rakotomandimby \(R12y\)" <mihamina.rakotomandimby () etu ! univ-orleans ! fr>
Date:       2008-07-27 7:36:38

Eric Laffoon wrote:
>> I'm running KDE 3.5.4 with Mandriva Free Edition 2007.
>> The program was a tar.bz2 file.

That is an archive of the source code.
The problem is you will need to install the headers ("devel" pacakges)
of the needed headers.

>> For some reason it won't respond to the "make" command.
>> This is the error I get:
>> [root@localhost kdewebdev-3.5.9]# make
>> make: *** No targets specified and no makefile found. Stop.
>> I'm guessing for some reason it can't find the makefile?
>> Any help will be greatly appreciated.

First, sunscribe to the Mandriva mailing list: you will get some help on
using your system.
One precise point you will need help on is the usage of the package
manager (both in command line and in GUI).

> First of all I'm pretty sure there are packages available precompiled. However
> if you want to build the software from source (I do) here are some tips.
>
> 1) do configure and make as user! If you do su then you may find root is not
> configured for all your desktop settings. Also if you build in user space you
> will not be able to rebuild as a user since you won't have permissions.

+1

> 2) If you still have no targets then you have a tarball that has not had the
> makefiles made or some issue with your configuration. If so run this...
> make -f Makefile.cvs

erm... what should be the error message if the guy has only a partial
instal of the autotools?

> 3) su to run make install unless you are using a home directory custom install
> path.

+1.

But he is going into some headers files troubles if he doesn't install
the right ones.
And that needs a little experience.