List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Quanta and CPU/Memory consumption
From:       Andrew Lowe <andrew.lowe () manildra ! com ! au>
Date:       2008-05-21 1:27:19

On Wed, 21 May 2008 10:50:34 James Ellis wrote:
> ok, here's some more info:
>
> Symptoms:
> * Quanta uses between 50 and 99% of CPU and about 4-7% of memory on
> startup, loading up medium to large projects (> 1000 files). The system is
> fine at other times.

These are pretty big projects! I have never had a project in Quanta this big.
I tend to have many sub-projects, and have never created a quanta project for
our whole application tree. It does cause me some problems, because my
libraries are outside my project directory, and not referenced - so
auto-complete on my class libraries is a bit limited (Hopefully Quanta 4 will
be nicer at this - but not really an issue at the moment).

> System:
> * Intel(R) Pentium(R) M processor 1600MHz
> * 1.2GB RAM
> * Quanta 3.5.9
> * KDE 3.5.9 / 4.0.4 (happens in both)
> * Kubuntu 8.04, fully updated
> Other software running at the same time (that use similar resources)
> * Kontact, Xorg, Firefox.

Sounds like everything is current versions... pretty much what I run at home.
At work Kubuntu is 7.10, and KDE 3.5.9.
Quanta 3.5.9 will not use anything from KDE 4, it will load 3.5.9 libraries
when it needs them, just like any kde3.x app will.

> My questions:
> * Is it possible to ignore symlinks per project ? Some symlinks are
> placeholders to other directories in the same project - to aid with web
> server setup. Symlinks could then be just denoted in the tree view rather
> than followed ?
Not sure about symlinks...

> * Is it possible to have an option like "include only text files" or
> "exclude binary files" in the Project Properties, rather than the "Insert
> only markup, script and image files" and "Insert files with the following
> mask" in the New Project widget. Neither of the current options are valid
> for me, especially as files may be named with various extensions.
Under the project settings ( Project->Project Properties) you should be able
to use the Exclude from Project option:
I sometimes use *.jpg;*.jpeg;*.gif;.*.backup.*
(a customer used to use file.name.backup.N as the backup version of the file
where N is the version - nasty method from a previous developer, but I dont
want to see those file)
You could try adding directoryToIgnore/*;bobsfile*; etc to reduce the load (do
symlinked files have a common prefix or suffix?

> * Could there be a minimal startup option - to just show files, directories
> and symlinks in the tree. I don't really mind if the icons are not correct
> for the file type or if the parser finds an error (I handle parser errors
> in various other tests). As long as I can get a file tree representation
> and click on the files to open them quickly, it's good enough for me.
> I noticed there are some other treeview plugins for Kate floating around
> the web - maybe one of those could be an option to investigate ?

This might be a good option for large projects, but I think development is
concentrating on version 4, which is a total re-write and uses the kdevelop
platform as a base.  Hopefully this will help to solve your problem as I
would imagine more users of kdevelop would have larger projects.  I could be
wrong here.... :-)

The above options are probably not the best in all cases, but hopefully the
are a workable work-around for you.

--
Andrew Lowe
    System Administrator & Programmer