List:       quanta
Subject:    [Quanta] Quanta and CPU/Memory consumption
From:       James Ellis <james.ellis () gmail ! com>
Date:       2008-05-19 3:32:39

Hi

I'm not sure about anyone else but I find Quanta's CPU and memory usage to be
pretty extreme, especially on startup. Out of all the KDE apps that I use
it's the one that slows down the system the most, by a fair margin. To the
point where there is a noticeable lag when typing this message between key
stroked and the key appearing on the page.

It's most noticeable on startup when a project is being scanned - it's less of
an issue with small projects which would point to a scaling issue. I
regularly see CPU usage between 50 and 99% and memory usage generally
outstrips Xorg which usually runs at 6% or so. Once Quanta has finished it's
startup dance, system load returns to normal.
Doing an strace on the process reveals what looks to be Quanta doing a stat on
every file in the project.

So, I guess the big questions are
- is this cpu and memory usage really needed?
- Does Quanta need to stat every file in the project on startup?
- Couldn't it just read the XML project file and put a representation of that
in the file tree? This would put the onus on a developer who makes major file
changes to rescan the tree manually.
- Maybe there is an option to turn it off for startup ?

Thanks
James