List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Quanta 3.5.5 and number of simultaneous FTP connections
From:       Jeffrey Sabarese <core5fedora () gmail ! com>
Date:       2007-02-01 13:30:42

truc muche <trucmuche2005 <at> hotmail.com> writes:

> Am I the only guy doing FTP transfers with this kioslave thinking that ??

You are not alone. I am a "victim" of this issue as well. I couldn't remember my
password for one of the sites i was hosting under my "reseller" account. oddly,
i thought, i was never able to connect-- even after i referenced and entered the
correct password. later, attempting to use another connection method-- i
realized that all of my sites with this hosting provider were "down".

my hosting provider informed me that there was NO PROBLEM with any of my web
sites. i found this confusing because I couldn't see ANY of them-- and yet, it
was only "MY" server; only my web sites which i couldn't access. my associates
also replied indicating that in fact they too were ABLE to see the web sites
without any problem.

"Why?" i thought, confused, irritated and frustrated. My provider resolved that
i must have been the Earthquake which had caused certain Asian countries to lose
connectivity to the U.S.. It was finally determined, after my cancellation of
that account, that my IP had been blocked because my Hosting Provider's security
software was preventing me from "hacking" the FTP server.

I had worked with this provider since 2002. I severed a perfectly good
relationship, essentially, due to this issue (though I'm still hosting
ColdFusion sites on their Win servers). Fortunately, it came at a time when i
have just established a partnership with a provider of VPS hosting, but i was
nonetheless unhappy about the way i felt "forced" to move from that previous
provider. Had we not spent so much time investigating the issue, it's likely
this would never have been uncovered.

Don't get me wrong-- i'm not placing blame, but the issue is not isolated, and
it is not without undesirable consequences. It is disappointing, but Quanta+
this doesn't change my positive opinion of Quanta+. It is of course NOT a
Quanta+ thing. Qunata+ merely suffers by default

-JS

PS.
We can rest assured that this is NOT a Quanta+ problem, but a problem with the
way KDE accesses the network, right? If we do not FTP with Quanta+ (an easy
workaround), then this problem is completely avoidable.
(i wonder what would happen if Quanta+ were run on a Gnome system? does it adopt
another connection method, or are the same KDE components installed any time
Quanta+ is installed?)