List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Quanta Digest, Vol 40, Issue 9
From:       Eric Laffoon <sequitur () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-07-10 18:58:38

On Monday 10 July 2006 11:31 am, Mark A. Taff wrote:
> On Sunday 09 July 2006 19:25, Eric Laffoon wrote:
> > Yeah, it would be a great idea. In fact all you need to make it work is
> > to find a KDE application that does this and can work as a KPart and then
> > load it.
>
> Does all the work that has been done in kexi help at all?  I realize kexi
> is still quite buggy, but they are improving quite rapidly, imho.
>
> Mark

Kexi is designed to load as a KOffice Part, and as such extends the KPart
specification. To use this Quanta would have to access the KOffice API and
libraries, and AFAIK Kexi is not designed to be scaled to small component
access. So I think when you add everything up it would be a disaster, no
disrespect to the Kexi guys.

Conversely Kommander works now and is so easy non programmers develop mini
applications with it and it can load any KDE part. Knoda is very stable and
powerful and is built on hk_classes and KDE components. It is easy to make
this work...
1) Works now with testing using the API - this offers point and click
expression building in the Function Browser
2) Custom widgets can be built as plugins
3) By accessing Knoda widgets full applications can be quickly built
4) By enabling KPart creation as an option in Kommander plugins can be created
to run in tabs in Quanta

The important thing to realize is that with Kommander any user can extend,
customize or alter any program using a point and click interface.

If you are interested in testing the new database plugin please subscribe to
the Kommander user mailing list on site.
--
Eric Laffoon - Quanta+ Team Leader
http://quanta.kdewebdev.org