List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Quanta Digest, Vol 40, Issue 9
From:       Eric Laffoon <sequitur () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-07-10 2:25:22

On Sunday 09 July 2006 9:59 am, Korky Kathman wrote:
> Hello, I am currently on SuSE 10.1 and KDE 3.5.3.
>
> I have written before regarding the desire for Quanta to support an
> active pane that would allow viewing MySQL databases, tables and
> subsequent fields/columns. I currently use Quanta for my web programming
> needs, but must use something else to constantly make reference to the
> DB schema (i.e. MySQL Administrator or phpMyAdmin). While this works,
> its very annoying to have to use 2 or 3 other screens when it might be
> implemented inside Quanta itself.
>
> I am curious to know if anyone else might find this useful also. I know
> programs like Zend, PhpEd, Komoto and other IDEs have this feature, and
> believe it would make a great addition to an already fine Quanta product.

Yeah, it would be a great idea. In fact all you need to make it work is to
find a KDE application that does this and can work as a KPart and then load
it. However I don't know of an application like this at the time. You could
also consider sponsoring development of this. You know we are not an
unlimited resource and we depend on contributions of code and donations and
sponsorship of developers to produce what we do.

Currently Michal Rudolf is back to work on Kommander. Prior to his being
unable to continue putting in the same effort he was very close to having a
plugin for Knoda's hk_classes ready and we will be testing it shortly. I
wrote a dialog that would enable you to set up your connection to a database
and access table and field lists on the fly to create SQL and insert it into
the current cursor position. This would provide full functionality to
Kommander dialogs, especially when the plugin is extended for Knoda widgets.
Currently Kommander does not create Kparts, but it's on our list of things do
to. If you'd really like something like this you should consider helping to
sponsor it. The tools you mentioned all extract funds to run them so it
shouldn't be too difficult.

If you're not familiar Kommander provides a user extensible interface so you
can get a Kommander program, open it in the editor and modify it for your
specific needs. It's full power is exposed with a point and click function
tool similar to what you'd find in a spreadsheet like KSpread. You can find
out about it on the kdewebdev.org site.

--
Eric Laffoon - Quanta+ Team Leader
http://quanta.kdewebdev.org