List:       quanta
Subject:    [Quanta] CMS Over My Head?
From:       Jerry <jerry.coover () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-06-28 17:27:47

Andrew, Thanks for your comments. I was going to download TYPO3, but stopped
when MYsql, and php requirements were listed. This is probably out of bounds
for a Quanta forum but there are so many pros on here, I think I'll get
straight answers.

I am managing a non-profit organization's web site, as I said in my earlier
post. I do it from my desktop computer running the latest version Ubuntu.
MYsql and php are on the Ubuntu applications list and some of the components
are installed, but there are numerous associated apps listed that are not
installed. Here's my question: My computer is not set up as a server and I'm
not sure I want to do that, but I don't know because I don't know what I'm
getting into.

A local ISP hosts the website without cost. Their server is php compliant and
it is probably MYsql compliant, also, but I don't know . . . which, of
course, I can find out. So, on the TYPO3 download site there are two options:
download #1, for those with MYsql and PHP already installed "on their
server." And download #2, installs TYPO3 plus MYsql and PHP. I don't think I
need download option #2, but I don't know if my system is really set up to
accept download option #1. Will TYPO3 work for me if the ISP server has MYsql
and PHP installed on that server? Or do I have to have those apps on my
computer to get TYPO3 to work.? I suppose I should be asking this on the
TYPO3 support page, but I thought I might get a quicker reply from this forum

I apologize for the long post.

Jerry