List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] quanta freezing on localhost ftp
From:       Gabriel Dragffy <dragffy () yandex ! ru>
Date:       2006-04-17 14:27:59

> I tested many times this kind of setup with Quanta and never had
> problems. Luckily I have kubuntu as well now, so I will test again,
> just tell me:
> - the ftp server you use
> - the settings of that ftp server (send me that)

I am using proftpd, and have attached the config file to the end of the email.
But what is probably even more useful for you is that I used a recent default
install of xampp 1.5.1. From
http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-linux.html

downloaded from one of the mirrors at:
http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-linux.html#374

Installed as per:
http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-linux.html#377

Then started the services as described here:
http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp-linux.html#378

I used the defaults for everything so if you install it you should have the
exact settings I have for proftpd. Then you'll even be able to test Quanta.
After this installation I loaded up Quanta then created a new project using
the ftp protocol, and entered "localhost" as the server, then set the main
directory to / (Quanta was able to browse the files in the directory). I
didn't add any files/folders to the project. I then made a simple php script
of <? phpinfo(); ?> then saved and selected to add this to the project.
That's when Quanta cpu usage rocketed and was the last I heard from it. I
left it going over night incase it managed to do something but it was a
definate crash.

XAMPP appears to work like a charm and I can browse http://localhost and
ftp://localhost using Konqueror to upload and change files, just Quanta seems
to hiccup.

> You might also try to switch between passive/active mode in Control
> Center->Internet & Network->Connection Preferences->FTP options.
This made no difference.

********************************************************************************8
PROFTPD CONFIG
********************************************************************************8
# This is a basic ProFTPD configuration file (rename it to
# 'proftpd.conf' for actual use.  It establishes a single server
# and a single anonymous login.  It assumes that you have a user/group
# "nobody" and "ftp" for normal operation and anon.

ServerName			"ProFTPD"
ServerType			standalone
DefaultServer			on

# Port 21 is the standard FTP port.
Port				21
# Umask 022 is a good standard umask to prevent new dirs and files
# from being group and world writable.
Umask				022

# To prevent DoS attacks, set the maximum number of child processes
# to 30.  If you need to allow more than 30 concurrent connections
# at once, simply increase this value.  Note that this ONLY works
# in standalone mode, in inetd mode you should use an inetd server
# that allows you to limit maximum number of processes per service
# (such as xinetd)
MaxInstances			30

# Set the user and group that the server normally runs at.
User				nobody
#Group				nogroup

# Normally, we want files to be overwriteable.
<Directory /opt/lampp/htdocs/*>
  AllowOverwrite		on
</Directory>

# only for the web servers content
DefaultRoot /opt/lampp/htdocs
#DefaultRoot /home/sniff/website/dev

# nobody gets the password "lampp"
UserPassword nobody wRPBu8u4YP0CY

# nobody is no normal user so we have to allow users with no real shell
RequireValidShell off

# nobody may be in /etc/ftpusers so we also have to ignore this file
UseFtpUsers off