List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] We need sponsorship help!
From:       rwh <webmaster () patanjali ! ch>
Date:       2006-03-28 9:08:32

imho.
>I always hate to ask for money on the list.

why? the folks that subscribe to the list are the folks that use quanta+.
we are the same folks that have the most to lose if q+ goes dormant. as one
reads the list and reads the "wish lists" that pop up and then reads where
Andras says "yes, it's in the works" or "yes, it's in q+ ver4" one can only
be impressed by the dedication of the q+ team of developers. we, the users,
the ones that benefit from these efforts have a responsibility, imo. this is
a two way street. there is "no free lunch", there never has been.

jeez, when i remember how much cash, i use to dump into ms vaporware every
year and then have to deal with some snot-nosed techie when the software
didn't work as advertised, i still get nightmares.

developer's develop - users participate in the development by contributing;
time, money or talent.

>In case anyone is interested this request for help has generated 2 donations
>totalling $60. We also had a $50 monthly subscriber fail this month so we're
>up a net $10. Currently the list has 522 subscribers including newsgroup
>subscribers which have multiple readers.

hmmm, 522*10$*4(x/year)
40$ out of my pocket/year. not a bad deal for q+ and the 7x24 support on the
list. no one is going to get rich on 20k$/year, except for the users of a
very excellent piece of software.

>We've had some incredible responses from users on this list in the past and I
>don't want to take away from that or wear out my welcome...

we all "get" and "give". as users we have been doing the "getting". if anyone
is going to wear out their welcome it's going to be the "gettors." it's
really not much of a community if the "gettors" do not participate in the
"giving". in the end, that kind of "cleverness" puts you right back into the
"other" model of doing business, doesn't it? and that means dealing with some
snot-nosed techie who has now been outsourced to nepal or somewhere.

>I'm eager to be even more active in this project but I very nearly
>worked myself to death so I have to sit around and follow my naturopathic
>doctors orders until I can go full throttle again.

well, at this moment, eric, your contribution is doing what the doctor told
you to do. :) period, schluss fertig, done. if we are to play our parts in
this game, you have to play yours to. haha.

40$/year ~ 10 beers ~ 4 big mac menus ~ 2 blockbuster movies (w/o popcorn)
this is doable, isn't it?

the best
robert
You are merely a thought, are you not? Remove the idea, the thought, and where
are you? j.k.