List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Download ability?
From:       Chris van de Wouw <chrisje () home ! nl>
Date:       2005-10-13 6:21:32

On Wednesday 12 October 2005 19:55, Eric Laffoon wrote:
> On Wednesday 12 October 2005 9:48 am, Chris van de Wouw wrote:
> > On Wednesday 12 October 2005 18:30, Steve Veltkamp wrote:
> > > My websites are frequently changed by my users (using the admin area of
> > > their websites) so that I often have an old version on my computer.
> > >
> > > Is there (could there be) a way to automatically check latest version
> > > and download if need be before editing the file in Quantas? Something
> > > like a synchronize command?
> >
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm facing the same situation frequently. I think a diff viewer (as with
> > cervisia plug-in) and an interactive merge locally in the 'upload
> > project' dialog would be great to solve this situation.
> >
> > But perhaps there are allready solutions for such situations, I would
> > gladly take notice of them. ;-)
> >
> > grtz,
> >
> > Chris
>
> Werner has mentioned sitecopy. Fundamentally my approach was directed as
> soon as I was talked into trying CVS for document management. I found that
> I could set up a local repository with a few shell commands and that CVS
> paid dividends even if I was doing all development myself on a project. Of
> course We will be supporting SVN soon too. For team development the
> benefits multiply greatly. The concept is easy...

I already use cvs for development.

> X - > Site hosted remotely
>
> | - X - > CVS (or SVN) server hosted (with internet access for teams)
> |
> | - X - > Test server - local replica or a hosted test unit
>
> O Local user
>
> This is very simple. Premise number one is that managing your site by
> granting access to everyone who might need to ever tweak something and then
> checking and seeing how messed up it is (without blame annotation to cover
> multiple changes) is insane. Premise number two is that changes are best
> tested on a test server instead of seeing if you're breaking the main site.
> Premise number three is that if something goes horribly wrong you want to
> be able to put everything back to a previous acceptable state while you
> sort it out.
I basicaly have this setup and I agree with your points about testing, as this
is how I actually work.

> Grant access to upload only to line developers and grant CVS access to
> others. Have all changes go into CVS which Quanta manages internally and
> with Cervisia. Now to see what has changed all you have to do is update the
> tree. Not only do you get what's new, but you can review all changes with
> annotation. You can also do more extensive changes and test prior to
> uploading.
CVS access to developers ok. But not for customers. And it is exactly these
customers who have little html experience, no php experience, though with a
little effort able to change a time notation from 12h to 24h, change
graphics, change config files, etc. etc. And I can't stop them from doing
that, nor do I intend to. They know if they break something and I have to fix
it, it cost them money, but that usually doesn't happen. But it does happen
they request a new feature for their site and I have to update it. That is
the point things need to be synchronized, as I have no overview of what they
have changed for themself.

> My personal favorite features of using a versioning system are seeing what
> specifically someone else has done and looking at how a file that is broken
> has changed since something worked. Having a versioning system in place is
> a huge security blanket and way better than an upload free for all. Just my
> opinion. ;-)
As I already said, I agree ;-)

I will look into sitecopy and see if it will solve these situations for me.

grtz,

Chris