List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Fish Protocol
From:       Eric Laffoon <sequitur () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-08-15 20:25:09

On Monday 15 August 2005 9:10 am, Jerry wrote:
> I understand that the "Fish" protocol is more secure than "ftp" for
> downloading/uploading files. What it the "Fish" protocol and how do I apply
> it? Will it work on any server or does my ISP control how I access their
> server? I have not been able to make "Fish" work.

fish == ssh+scp
fish://user@domain/path/file
for info on ssh and scp you can use the following in konqueror...
man:/scp

In order for fish to work you must have ssh and scp available on the server
and they must be compatible. FTP sends passwords in cleartext and encrypts
nothing so ssh/fish is definitely more secure.
--
Eric Laffoon - Quanta+ Team Leader
http://quanta.kdewebdev.org