List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Project preview prefixes
From:       Eric Laffoon <sequitur () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-08-10 21:24:37

On Wednesday 10 August 2005 1:15 am, Andras Mantia wrote:
> On Wednesday 10 August 2005 09:48, Daniel Andersen wrote:
> > On Wed, 10 Aug 2005 16:18, Andras Mantia wrote:
> > > But I don't understand why would a symlink created in your local
> > > checkout screw up things. You just don't commit that symlink to the
> > > svn and that's all.
> > >
> > > Andras
> >
> > The problem is that the permissions are stored in the database by
> > their path. So if you access http://daniel.localnet/blah/index.php,
> > the database looks up and checks the permission for
> > '/blah/index.php'. If i was to symlink it so that the file was also
> > available at
> > http://daniel.localnet/web/blah/index.php, then the database lookup
> > will lookup '/web/blah/index.php' and not find a matching entry,
> > meaning that I'll get an access denied message.
>
> than as Eric said, isn't it possible to set up a virtual server for
> testing?

A virtual server is the logical solution. It will create the appearance of a
root domain and the problem as I understand it is that software in the web
site is looking to verify permissions of a file name using structure as the
server root. The thing to remember is, this could also be done using a
basename, which would cause a reference to the site database instead of your
test server while still running test files. Of course it's possible with a
test setup to eventually confuse matters with library differences or
forgetting what is being accessed from where. A virtual server offers the
opportunity for an encapsulated test environment, but had other design
decisions been made things would behave differently. This is why us getting
too far into this area can get messy.

> BTW, I will try to find a way to solve this in the future. Eric, do you
> think we should use the "Document Base Folder" setting for this?

I don't see how because this is an operation from the sever. Unless we want to
get into controlling the virtualization this doesn't seem possible or
practical. It would be cool to have a KPart which could work with setting up
virtual servers for projects but for the moment I'll see if someone besides
us wants a fun project.

If anyone sees something I'm missing here I'd be happy to do what we can.

--
Eric Laffoon - Quanta+ Team Leader
http://quanta.kdewebdev.org