List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Quanta PHP support...
From:       Eric Laffoon <sequitur () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-04-27 0:03:47

On Tuesday 26 April 2005 02:08 pm, David Jung wrote:
> Hello.  I'm currenly evaluating which editor/environment to use for a new
> HTML documentation effort.  Quanta looks pretty nice & full featured,
> but I is missing something I need and I think may be easy to implement.
> I've never done KDE development before, but I'd be willing to take a shot
> if I get time (except if one of the existing developer thinks they could
> do it in 5 mins).
>
> Before I describe the problem and get some knee-jerk reactions about
> web-servers and the like, I'd like to remind readers of a couple points:
>
> 1) HTML is a markup syntax for hyper-text documents, and has
>     nothing intrinsically to do with the web - it is more generic that
> that. It's status as the lingua-franca for the web is mearly through
> historical events.
> 2) PHP is a preprocessor & scripting syntax, that similarly has nothing
>     specifically to do with the web.
>
> So, I'd like to be able to use Quanta to edit simple XHTML documents
> with embedded PHP and preview it in the prevew pane.
> Note that I'm not running a web-server, nor do I ever intend to, nor
> will the documents ever be hosted on the web or viewed by a
> 'web browser' (though, of course by a XHTML renderer).
>
> I can almost achieve what I need with Quanta now.  I have
> defined a new Action called 'PHP preview' that takes the
> current buffer and pipes it to the /usr/bin/php command
> (with -q option to avoid generating HTML content header)
> and has the output in a new file.  That works, but it would
> be much more convenient if I could have the output go
> into the preview view.
> I guess what'd I'd like is an option in the action dialog for
> output to preview instead of as a new document.
>
> So - would that be easy to implement?  Is anyone who knows
> the code base willing to do it quickly?  If not, can someone
> give me a quick pointer to where in the source code I should
> look first to see what changes I need to make in order to
> add in that functionality?
>
> Thanks in advance,
> -David.
Project preview handles this directly. To use it you essentially have to have
a server running, but this is trivial. Most Linux distributions can install
one easily on localhost. Just set up the project preview. What I do is host
my projects in the server tree and then soft link this into my home
directory. It is then easy to set up the preview with the path in localhost.
Clicking on preview in that project then runs off the processed output.

I'm sure there is a way to modify things to work with command line PHP too but
it's not coming to me and the project preview is pretty easy to use and has
been available for years. You should find it explained in the docs.
--
Eric Laffoon - Quanta+ Team Leader
http://quanta.kdewebdev.org