List:       quanta
Subject:    Re: [Quanta] Quanta Wishlist
From:       Eric Laffoon <sequitur () kde ! org>
Date:       2005-02-22 1:07:52

On Monday 21 February 2005 02:30 pm, xterminator wrote:
> I just had an idea that may improve communication between all
> developers/helpers on the kdewebdev (or just Quanta+) project.
>
> If like Andras and Eric make available a web interface with all wishes for
> code, documentations, templates, graphics, translations,... so that
> everything can be consulted at a central place.  Like if somebody wants to
> help out he can look at that page, see what he/she CAN do, make an
> annotation on the page that he/she starts working on that so that other
> people can see that too.
>
> If you like this idea (which is actually a medium size project imo) I can
> start the coding for it in a php/mysql mix
>
> At your service
>
> Andy aka x_terminat_or_3

It's funny... I just had a conversation about how people come into our
business, look at what we're doing and propose ideas that we are so far in
front of already. In this case you have a rough idea of what I'm developing
now. I have the database table design for this, the interface concepts and
some rather large PHP classes for data management that I've been writing now
over the last several years. In addition to this I have some very specific
ideas on how all this should be done from five years of experience managing
the project. I've also had several people attempt to take over site
development and I am only going to give tasks out under careful direction
after my experience, and you're talking the central part that I consider
would take longer to explain than do. Not that I would not welcome help.

For everyone's information...
1) Bugzilla is hardly the last word in effective wish management
2) a wiki is hardly  optimal in some situations as well
3) A more optimal design has been in contemplation for some time.

4,5,6,7) All the traditional methods of managing this are ineffective as they
have an inherent wall between users, project leadership and developers. Most
importantly they all fail terribly in optimizing time constraints for project
management, behavioral preferences for developers and most comfortable user
interfaces for the largest number of users... and they fail to integrate and
enforce efficiency rules for all of this. Because our new project development
tools I'm building address this please feel free to bite your tongue for a
bit and then you may exclaim there is something better than these traditional
tools.

Not only will your feature requests be centralized but they will have multiple
indexes to insure the smallest chance ever of duplication as well as
integration with the development process where you will be able to see what
is happening. This is because the development tools will integrate with the
developer list and provide a number of useful features to developers that
will be easy to use and address the shortcomings of the current model.

Hasn't everyone figured out that I never sleep yet, or that I can't stop
thinking about how to improve the project? ;-) These things would be done now
if I didn't have to keep taking breaks to work once in a while. ;-)

BTW I'd be quite happy to accept help with this. Go to kdewebdev.org and
subscribe to the site developer list.
--
Eric Laffoon - Quanta+ Team Leader
http://quanta.sourceforge.net  sequitur@kde.org