List:       quanta
Subject:    [Quanta] Re: Install Problem : Halts at Configure stage
From:       Neil McLeish <neil () tech-lab ! co ! uk>
Date:       2005-02-20 12:31:47

On Monday 14 Feb 2005 10:01, quanta-request@mail.kde.org wrote:

> In case you can't tell I think it is an afront to the principles of open
> source that distributions are making it difficult for people to build from
> source with no better justification than they were stuck in a time warp or
> wanted to cultivate your dependence on them. As developers we don't make it
> any easier with terse messages like the one you found. They should let me
> write the message. ;-)
> --
> Eric Laffoon - Quanta+ Team Leader
> http://quanta.sourceforge.net  sequitur@kde.org
> GPG Fingerprint: 48FB 218D 747F A54A 319D EE98 4A25 794E A453 004B
> http://quanta.sourceforge.net/developer/keys/Eric_Laffoon_pubkey.asc

Well, I have tried installing kdelibs-dev and various other dev files which
look like they might be part of the issue.
No joy.  In fact, I get stuck in an 'unmet dependency' loop.  Everything seems
to depend on something else and there seem to be are a few which will not
install for some unknown reason (even after apt-get update and fixup etc...).

I agree with Eric's statement above that it is up to distro makers to make
sure that they provide the right hooks for the software to work, especially
if the required libs are very common indeed.

The terse message I get is indeed of absolutely no help whatsoever - my advice
to those involved in writing those mesages should go take some basic HCI
lessons.  Usability is key and keeping the user well informed is vital on all
levels.
Unfortunately, I feel I must now give up on updating Quanta. As a very busy
developer and project manager, I do not have the time for spending hours
unsuccessfully installing what should be a great application.  So I will
stick to version 3.3.1

Thanks for your advice; it is just a shame it did not work for me.

Regards,

Neil.