List:       python-list
Subject:    RE:question
From:       JYOUNG79 () kc ! rr ! com
Date:       2007-08-27 13:16:47

Hi MRAB,

Thanks so much for taking the time to help me with this!  I've learned a \
ton from the  example you sent!  I
studied each part of your code so I could get a good understanding of how \
it worked.  There  was one question I
had; on the regex line, you used "(\d+)$" and I was curious why you used \
the parenthesis  around the '\d+'?

After studying the 'listdir' a bit, I realized it only grabbed the files \
from the current directory I  was in.  I went
online and with a little bit of searching I found 'walk'.  I'm not sure if \
I'm using this correctly,  but I found a way
to use 'walk' to grab all the appropriate files in nested folders too (I \
attached the code below).   I'm really
impressed with the power of Python!!

Again, thanks MRAB for the incredible help you've given me.  I really \
appreciate it!!  :-)

Jay

#!/usr/bin/python

import os
import re

folder = "~/Desktop/logoFiles/"

pathList = []

for root, dirs, files in os.walk(folder):
  for name in files:
    if name.upper().startswith("LOGO"):
	pathList.append(os.path.join(root, name))

dList = {}

for x in pathList:
    parts = x.split("/")
    if parts[-2].isdigit():  # Make sure folder name is a number
        n = re.findall(r"(\d+)$", parts[-1])   # Grab number off file name
        if n:
            dList[int(n[0])] = "%s<::>LOGO%s\n" % (x, n[0])

keyList = dList.keys()
keyList.sort()

sortedList = "".join([dList[x] for x in keyList])

newFile = open("/Users/jyoung1/Desktop/LogoBook_Data/sortedData.txt", "w")
newFile.write(sortedList)
newFile.close()