List:       nepomuk
Subject:    Re: [Nepomuk] Nepomuk 4.11 Roadmap
From:       Björn Balazs <b () lazs ! de>
Date:       2013-02-15 19:16:54

Hi Alex, all,

first of all. Sorry for taking so long to answer your question =

- but I have been ill last week, feeling slightly better =

now...

I talked to my collegues (Heiko and Sven - s. CC) and we are =

actually very interested to help you, Frank and others to =

improve Dolphin's sidebar. Sven is our intern and willing to =

do the work (of course with our professional assistence). =

But we have to slow down a little bit. Your proposal looks =

nice and useful but we are not sure what questions it really =

answers. So we should start with more general research before =

evaluating a mockup (e.g. who uses sidebars, which scenario =

needs to be supported,... In terms of "Recents": in what kind =

of dimension do user think, etc).

Of course this only makes sense if there are volounteers on =

the programming side willing to improve the sidebar based on =

the results (and getting involved in the research generally).

So summing it up: I would suggest not to implement the idea of =

a timeline, but I see potential for improving the sidebar(s).

Please let us know how to proceed!

All the best,
Bj=F6rn

P.S. Please add Heiko, Sven and me to any replies, as we are =

not subscribed to any of the ML.

wrote:
> > The idea certainly looks interesting, thanks! However, I'm =

not sure if
> > that could really be put into the Places Panel - it would =

look a bit
> > inconsistent if there are the 'traditional' places and the =

devices in
> > a plain list of entries and then the timeline thing. =

Moreover, that
> > widget might need quite a bit of vertical space, maybe it =

won't really
> > fit in the panel together with the other entries if there =

are many
> > 'places'/many devices?
> > =

> > Another approach might be to put that into a new =

'Timeline' panel.
> > Maybe some parts of the code could then even be shared =

with the
> > existing implementation in the screenshot.
> =

> Well, if you agree on the general idea, we can ask Bj=F6rn =

(added in CC) to
> work a bit on this and see what alternatives we have.
> =

> The ideas I have rambling in my head does not put a timeline =

in the
> placesview, but rather around the breadcrumb bar (or =

replacing it).
> =

> Anyway, let's let the expert (Bj=F6rn) work on it :p
> =

> Cheers !
-- =

www.OpenUsability.org