List:       mysql
Subject:    MySQL missbehavior
From:       nkolb () htl ! de
Date:       1999-06-03 21:48:58

Hi list,

I today discovered the following missbehavior in mysql:

From this table (from mod_log_mysql)

+-------------+---------+------+-----+---------+-------+
| Field       | Type    | Null | Key | Default | Extra |
+-------------+---------+------+-----+---------+-------+
| remote_host | text    | YES  |     | NULL    |       |
| remote_user | text    | YES  |     | NULL    |       |
| request_uri | text    | YES  |     | NULL    |       |
| time_stamp  | int(11) | YES  |     | NULL    |       |
| status      | int(11) | YES  |     | NULL    |       |
| bytes_sent  | int(11) | YES  |     | NULL    |       |
+-------------+---------+------+-----+---------+-------+

this select

SELECT upper( SUBSTRING_INDEX(remote_host, '.', -1) ) as TopLevelDomain,
       count( remote_host ) as Zaehler,
       round( count( remote_host )/(137/100)*2 ) as Prozent
FROM transfer_log
GROUP BY TopLevelDomain
ORDER BY Zaehler desc;

_SOMETIMES_ fails whith this errormsg

ERROR 2013 at line 1: Lost connection to MySQL server during query

The error is reproduceable on server versions:
3.21.30 Linux,
3.22.15 Linux,
3.22.21 Linux and
3.22.21 Solaris.

And the error was reproduceable by using c, perl, php, shell (cat test.sql |
mysql db) and the mysql-monitor itself.

The error occured much rarely when not using the "ORDER BY" command.

Any ideas, hits, or something else ??

Norbert