List:       linux-video
Subject:    Can't find info, please help
From:       Hans-Peter Guggenbichler <hanspeterg () gmx ! net>
Date:       2007-02-10 22:20:28

Hi guys and gals!

Sorry to introduce myself with a most probably dumb question,  but I couldn't find the answer
to that anywhere.

I got me a Hauppauge Wintv PCI FM tv tuner card and put it into my PC. (Reasonably quick
machine, Using Debian etch). The goal was to create DVD's from my old climbing videos.
Got me tvtime, mplayer, mencoder and everything is working. But .. I am not satisfied with
the quality of the captured videos (I comparison with my old TV set, Video Player is the same).
I then played a lot with different video drivers, filters and switches but I never got a satisfying
result.

I tried to explore how things are working, but I never get the big picture.

The big question to me is: WHO DOES ALL THIS PROCESSING?

what confuses me most:
When I change resolution: Does the driver just tell the tv card controller to provide the
data stream in the new resolution. Is the data stream from the tv card always the
same and the the driver does the new resolution? Or is it the application?
I never saw a increase of load on the cpu when I selected  a high resolution, altough the
picture starts bucking in tvtime.  That brings into my mind, that the tv card does the work.
On the other hand, I can't select resolution within v4l2ucp.

So please, someone enlight me,
best regards,
Hans-Peter, Austria (PAL,625 lines)