On Sonntag, 11. Februar 2024 12:38:35 CET K=E5re S=E4rs wrote: =2E.. > I have a hunch that the workflow to manually run cmake in a terminal and > then after that open the build folder with Kate, to get the CMake-Project, > is not what most users would expect. > I think most users would expect is to "open a CMake project" by "opening" > the CMakeLists.txt and then Kate would create the build directory and run > the configure command(s). maybe when a user expects an IDE with a fully integrated cmake support, may= be=20 then, yes.=20 =46or me, it's completely different. There is the case that I'm working on the project I'm actually working on,= =20 then this may be reasonable.=20 But quite often there are projects where I'm just a consumer. I get the=20 sources and build and install them from the command line. Then, sometimes I have to do something in them, maybe because it doesn't=20 build, or I need to debug something, or change installation rules, or=20 something. Then I don't want a new build tree and rebuild everything. I simply want to use kate to work on the already existing build tree. I'm supporting people working with different IDEs with varying levels of=20 support for cmake. =46or each of them the user has to find out how they integrate cmake, and h= ow to=20 configure that: =2D do I have to create a project for that IDE in cmake (Visual Studio), or= does=20 the IDE itself run cmake ? =2D if so, which cmake does it run ? the user may have multiple versions=20 installed. Does it search via PATH, or is this configurable ? Or does it co= me=20 with an embedded copy of cmake ? Which version is that ? =2D if it runs cmake, how do I set cmake variables, and what is the recomme= nded=20 way to tell cmake which compiler to use ? (since this has to be done before= =20 the initial cmake run) =2D if it runs cmake, where does it create the build directory ? Does it ha= ve =20 builtin defaults where they are created ? Can I adjust how they are named ? =2D why happens if I switch between build types in the IDE ? Does it reconf= igure=20 the build tree and so force a full rebuild ? Or does it know about e.g. the= =20 multo-config ninja generator ? Or does it create a separate build tree for = each=20 type ? I know IDEs do that, and I think it's much better to let the user just say= =20 "this is my build tree, use it". Alex