List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    kate's "Open Folder..." feature
From:       Alexander Neundorf <neundorf () kde ! org>
Date:       2024-02-10 14:06:53

Hi,

today I found out (by looking at the code) that the "Open Folder" entry in the
"File" menu actually tries to open the selected folder as project.

I'm using kate since many years, and I had never noticed that menu entry.
Some years ago I accidentially dragged a folder into kate, and kate opened all
the files in that directory. I think the warning message did not exist yet back
then, so this loaded hundreds or file and more or less killed this kate
instance.
... so I assumed "Open Folder" would do the same, but it doesn't.

It tries to find a project in that folder.
IMO this is not obvious at all.
"Open folder" does not hint at projects.
I think it should be renamed, e.g.  to "Open folder as project".
Or keep the name "Open folder", but move it into the "Projects" menu ?

I'm actually stumbling upon this one because of my work in the cmake file API.
I doubt that any user would ever find out that he needs to "Open folder" the
build directory in order to get a working project setup for his cmake build
tree.
I would actually prefer to have an extra menu entry
"Open CMake build tree as project",
either in the File- or in the Projects-menu.
Then the user needs to select a directory which contains a CMakeCache.txt (or
actually the file CMakeCache.txt), and then kate could use the cmake file API to
create a project from that.
This would have the additional advantage that kate could ask the user whether
he wants to use the VCS information for the file list of the information from
cmake about the source files (which does not necessarily contain headers, rc
files, documentation etc.).

Comments ?

Thanks
Alex