List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Bug or feature ? Edited project-generated targets are saved
From:       Alexander Neundorf <neundorf () kde ! org>
Date:       2024-02-07 22:02:36

Hi,

the project plugin can generated targets for the build plugin.
The entries in the build plugin are editable by the user.
This may be useful, e.g. to change the "-j8" flag for make, or maybe add some
other option.

But, such a change is also saved. And from that moment on, it seems kate
always loads the saved, edited targets, no matter whether the project plugins
generates different targets now (e.g. because the cmake files for that project
have been changed).

To me this feels like a bug.
I think it may be useful that the build commands are editable, it provides
some flexibility. If they were not editable at all, this would be also Ok for
me.
But that my edits are saved and then override the "new" targets from the
project plugin feels like a bug, the targets are then not up to date anymore
with the current state of the actual project.

What behaviour do we want ?

Thanks
Alex