List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Re: Kate versions after 3.85 more effectively handle updating syntax highlight files?
From:       Matthew Woehlke <mw_triad () users ! sourceforge ! net>
Date:       2014-06-16 16:32:10

On 2014-06-14 16:14, J.B. Nicholson-Owens wrote:
> Sven Brauch wrote:
>> ... which reminds me, that's not quite ideal either -- if you update them
>> once, they stay there forever and are not replaced by subsequent
>> updates of
>> the system-wide files. Maybe it should try to read both and use the
>> one with
>> the better version?
>
> Good point; users aren't going to manually update the files stored
> somewhere in their home directories. Better to assume the users will let
> Kate automatically determine what to do.
>
> So long as the files are versioned, using the latest version would be
> better. If either file is not versioned or if both files list the same
> version perhaps falling back on filesystem time/date information would
> be appropriate to determine which is more recent and favoring the more
> recent file?

If the versions are the same, prefer the one in the user's directory.
Users might edit them for personal use and not bump the version number.

Actually, better would be to have a separate location for automatic
updates where between that and system, the newer version is preferred,
and a separate location (ideally the existing directory) whose files are
always preferred, regardless. The latter would be used for users'
customizations, which probably they don't want to be lost due to a new
version. (Also, this way users can more readily tell what HL's are
"theirs" and what are just downloaded updates.)

--
Matthew