List:       kwrite-devel
Subject:    Re: MovingCursor + Ranges, Features
From:       Christoph Cullmann <cullmann () absint ! com>
Date:       2010-05-07 7:43:04

On Friday 07 May 2010 04:54:25 Hamish Rodda wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Apr 2010 04:56:36 am Christoph Cullmann wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > the new stuff is now kind of working, what does it support:
> >
> > You get moving cursors and ranges, just like before. If a ranges becomes
> > empty, it either stays like that and may grow again or you can let it be
> > flagged automatically as "invalid".
> >
> > You can assign attributes to ranges and couple the showing of the
> > attribute to one specific view or allow it to be seen everywhere or only
> > in views (not in printing, for example important for spell checking).
> >
> > You can assign dynamic attributes which are used if the caret or mouse
> > is inside the range in the view, this works since today,
> > for example used in template stuff later, ATM there is a demo in the
> > "show all" of the search, move caret inside any match with keyboard, you
> > will get "italic" font, move the mouse over, your will get "bold" font.
> >
> > Atm I don't think about implementing more, any essential stuff missing
> > you really can't live without?
> > (inspect movingcursor.h and movingrange.h in ktexteditor for the current
> > API, convenience stuff missing for sure, but see Dominiks mail for that)
>
> I'm starting to port KDevelop, and so far have found the api to be ok.  I'm
> now looking at using the new moving range feedback, and I'm concerned that
> we will need multiple feedback objects at times (given we have many
> plugins, it's likely that more than one would want to use the moving
> ranges).  We could work around it by making our own feedback class that
> distributes feedback to a list of interested classes, but I'm wondering if
> you would consider allowing multiple feedback ranges in the api.
I dislike to have more than one pointer per range for this just for that rare
usecase.
Just add some "meta-feedback" to the range yourself, like you propose and feed
the stuff back to your plugins.
Normally there should be exactly one owner of a range, and one feedback is
enough ;)

Greetings
Christoph

--