Hi Lucas, Just out of curiosity, do you envisage the "tabbing" could be implemented *only* as an additional window decoration? Or could it also be implemented as a grouping at the task-bar for example. I can imagine for example having a group-bar (as opposed task bar). Click on the group in the group bar to bring up a list of windows (or switch to an expose view of the window group or ...). Handled this way, full-screen apps could still be maintained in groups I think. Could Alt-Tab then show grouped icons? i.e. all windows but spatially grouped, perhaps with coloured backgrounds or in rows, to reflect your "tabbed" groups? Just some thoughts. I am a little concerned that there are a lot of different approaches to how this underlying concept of activity based groups should be implemented in KDE. It would be nice to pull them together somehow - before it all gets too confusing for everyone. Thanks for reading, Lucas Murray wrote: > On Wed, Mar 11, 2009 at 1:39 PM, Jorge Mata wrote: >> For grouping windows it should be with the mouse like dragging a window >> to another, a menu to display add/remove from group options, or both? > > Both and a keyboard shortcut. Be careful with the dragging though as > you don't want accidental triggers. > >> When grouping windows what should happen whit a window in full screen >> mode like a video play back and a smaller window? > > If a grouped window requests its decoration to be removed it should > also be removed from the group as it would no longer be possible to > switch between tabs without a decoration (Although it would still be > possible with a shortcut there should always be a visible method > available for usability purposes). If an application uses its main > window for fullscreening then there will be problems but I don't > really see how we can work around this at a window manager's level > without complicating things too much. > >> In the task bar communication and when switching windows with alt-tab >> you mind something like display only the current window or all the >> windows in the group? > > Lets just ignore the taskbar for now as it's just a distraction at the > moment. For alt+tab we would want all windows to still be listed like > they currently are by default but I guess there's nothing stopping us > from adding Yet Another Setting for it as there are valid uses for > grouped window switching (Gives me an idea for present windows...). > >> I downloaded kwin's code and start to read it so I can get some ideas >> about the implementation, is there something I should do to prepare >> myself for the project? > > If you can successfully compile a custom build of KWin then that's all > you really need. For actual development there are two main choices: > Develop is a branch on the KDE Subversion server or use Git. I'd > personally prefer using Git as it makes it easier for me to test, help > debug and collaborate with code but if you don't have any experience > with it then it would be possible to get by just with Subversion. The > main Git repository that Martin and myself are using is available at: > > http://github.com/Zarin/kwin/network > > Once you have been selected for a GSoC position if you want to develop > in a Subversion branch you will need to get an account first by > following the instructions listed at: > > http://techbase.kde.org/Contribute/Get_a_SVN_Account > > ------------------------------------------------------------------------ > > _______________________________________________ > kwin mailing list > kwin@kde.org > https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kwin > _______________________________________________ kwin mailing list kwin@kde.org https://mail.kde.org/mailman/listinfo/kwin