List:       kwin
Subject:    Re: [Kwin] kwin performance (kde 3.2b2)
From:       Lubos Lunak <l.lunak () suse ! cz>
Date:       2004-01-21 11:46:42

On Tuesday 20 of January 2004 13:18, aviv bergman wrote:
> ok - more tests...
[snip]
> _very_ jerky movement, low cpu usage.
> same results with original kwin.
> also - i've managed twice to loose the window -
> started drag, stopped (mouse still down) - the pointer
> was not at the position (in the window) it was at the
> beginning of the drag. moving a bit more caused the
> window to "jump" into place --> some events are
> missing.
> (b.t.w. - metacity has the same behavior)
> kcalc is probably the worst - i guess due to lots of
> child windows.
>
> f. so - just for testing, i patched kwin to grab a
> full-screen input only window (draging kcalc with
> alt-click):
> MotionNotify - 125
> EnterNotify - 0
> LeaveNotify - 0
> Expose - 184
> ConfigureNotify - 250
> PropertyNotify - 125
>
> very smooth movement, higher cpu then default, but
> much lower then (d)
>
> so...
> the only explanation i can think of is that it's an X
> bug, probably related to enter/leave event regarding
> child windows (?)

 Which X version is that?

> i'm attaching my patch, so u can test it - it's a
> hack, but it works best for me.

 Hmm. Technically I don't see a reason for doing something like that, but I
can think of it.

> (i havn't tested the rate limiting patch, since i
> belive the problem is not there)

 So you had time for all of this, including posting at a forum how I refuse to
apply your patch because there's no problem, and you haven't found time to
apply a patch, compile and test it once?

--
Lubos Lunak
KDE developer