List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: [kopete-devel] RFC:  Kopete 0.12.1
From:       Thomas Beinicke <merlin.linux () gmail ! com>
Date:       2006-06-08 15:09:12

Although I am no Kopete developer I have been been following it's progress for
quite some time and I am actively using it for the same time now so this is a
users perspective.
When I first tried it it was pretty unusable but now it really is my favorite
IM but I am using SVN for a looong time already.

The point is that if I suggest Kopete to other people that I have converted to
Linux they complain that their Kopete is "different".
Because most of the features I love in Kopete are simply not in other
distributions because I won't tell a newbie to use Gentoo for sure, they just
want to use their system.

So why we can't just kick out Kopete out of the offical KDE release? All the
distros will pack it anyway because they know that Kopete is THE messenger
for KDE.
Would it be so difficult to point all the major distros to the newer branch
and to include this one as the standard kopete? I guess some distros are
doing that already because the 0.12 branch is more stable and has more
features. I think the advantage of open source is that it's quite dynamic.

It's still a long time until KDE4 is ready AND when it's ready it doesn't mean
it will be instantly used by all the distros.

--
GPG Fingerprint: 96A9 5E93 669C 5809 3871 0835 DA77 DC8B 3258 20D3