List:       kopete-devel
Subject:    Re: [kopete-devel] RFC:  Kopete 0.12.1
From:       Thiago Macieira <thiago () kde ! org>
Date:       2006-06-08 10:28:59

[Attachment #2 (multipart/signed)]

Oleg Girko wrote:
>So, what's the point? Keep a piece of crap noone can use anyway just
> because policy says that? Policy is meaningful when it helps, but in
> cases when it hurts, exceptions should be made. And Kopete is really an
> exceptional case. It was included in kdenetwork release when it was not
> even close to production quality (no insult here). It was developed
> then outside of kdenetwork. It just does not look like an integral part
> of kdenetwork. And now, when it reached the state when it's usable and
> stable, it can't be included because of what? Just show me a single
> _practical_ reason.

The policy is there to guarantee that we don't release newly-broken stuff.
The branch is frozen for a reason.

You have known all along that Kopete 0.11 is part of KDE 3.5. You should
have backported the bugfixes to it. New features can be backported now
too, as long as you follow the rules.

If the big problem is kopete being in kdenetwork, then we can just remove
0.11 from KDE 3.5. Problem gone.

But adding 0.12 to it is not acceptable. Who is going to review ALL
changes, to make sure they are Ok? Remember it must be someone different
from the person who wrote the code in the first place.

 This is not the first time packagers have had to deal with this issue:
Kopete releases standalone versions from time to time. It has happened
before and it may happen again. They should have learnt by now.

  thiago.macieira (AT) trolltech.com     Trolltech AS
    GPG: 0x6EF45358                   |  Sandakerveien 116,
    E067 918B B660 DBD1 105C          |  NO-0402
    966C 33F5 F005 6EF4 5358          |  Oslo, Norway