List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: KOScript & KSpread
From:       <weis () stud ! uni-frankfurt ! de>
Date:       2001-08-31 16:40:55

Hi,

On Thu, 23 Aug 2001, Werner Trobin wrote:

> Hi!
>
> I thought I'll have some fun in the holidays and try to make
> KOScript work with Unicode input and stuff like that. I started
> to check the sources and now I have some questions:
>
> 1) What happens when someone transfers his KSpread files to a
>    different country? Should we try to convert the time/money
>    formats? (e.g. change "1.200,34" to "1 200.34" or so depending
>    on the settings in KLocale or leave them as they are?
>    Related to that is the question of scanning these literals, but
>    that's "only" an implementation issue... I guess I can make that
>    work with some more C code within the scanner.

The way I used to think about it is the following:
A file saved in germany and opened in america should put the american
kspread into german mode. So instead of converting the document the
application should adapt itself. However, I think that did never
work during the time I have been hacking on the stuff.

> 2) Should it be possible to process Unicode strings? That means not

Would be nice.

>    only "=A1+A2" should work if these fields contain non-latin1 text,
>    but also e.g '="Hallo"+A2' where "Hallo" is some unicode text.
>    How to pass these strings around? UTF-8?
>    flex isn't able to process Unicode (UCS-2) strings, but it should
>    be possible to hack around that by passing UTF-8 and allow "real"
>    UTF-8 only for string literals. Plain Expressions like =A1+A2 don't
>    contain anything but ASCII so that should work, no?

Looks like a solution to work around the lex limitations.
Trolltech should develop a unicode lexer :-)
(not speaking as a TT person)

> 3) (Mainly directed at Torben) Do we really want to do that?
>
>    -[\n]			idl_line_no++;
>    +[\n]			{ idl_line_no++; return T_SEMICOLON; }
>
>    -","			return T_COMMA;
>    -";"			return T_SEMICOLON;
>    +";"			return T_COMMA;
>
>    (A part of the diff between the KScript and the KOScript scanner)
>    This really results in ugly syntax and incomprehensible limitations
>    in the coding style (layout wise) :}

Hmmmm, there was once a reason for removing this semicolon.
Ah, correct, because ; is used instead of , in some locales. That
is needed if numbers are formatted like 1,234.

-> ; could not be used as a delimiter any more.

> 4) KSpread flickers a lot and it seems to do lots of useless updates.
>    I didn't look into that yet, and I can't guarantee that I'll have
>    time to do so. Comments?

Maybe. This code has often been subject to problems, and I am out
of coding for too long to have any concrete ideas here.

> 5) KSpread shouldn't draw a cursor in a not active view. On deactivation
>    it should just store the current position and restore it on activation
>    again.

Yep.

> So before I start tearing KSpread apart I'd like to hear your comments
> and suggestions ;)

Koffice hacking seems to me to be 100 years ago ... a strange feeling ...

Torben