List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: RFC: Kugar & Kivio
From:       Shawn Gordon <shawn () thekompany ! com>
Date:       2001-08-31 16:55:19

Why do I have to keep answering the same question over and over.  I sent out
a position statement on this topic recently and I'm starting to get rather
tired of people jumping around making statements for us that are contrary to
our stated position with no information to back it up.  Waldo and I had a
nice chat at LinuxWorld today about it as well.  So hopefully for the last
time here it is:

Kivio
1.  We have 2 versions of Kivio now, one is the one in KOffice, and the other
is the one that is purely Qt based that is a rewrite and we are putting in
HancomOffice.

2.  It is our intent to continue to be the Kivio project maintainers and we
expect to stay involved with KOffice and be respected as the Kivio project
maintainers.  In other words no more wholesale slice and dice of our code
without talking with us, you would want the same for your code.

3.  Kivio has one stencil that we supply and one stencil someone else
supplied.  We have close to 30 stencil sets available for sale on our web
site for between $5 and $10 each.  We will be releasing a stencil builder
product in the next 2 weeks at a targeted price of $50.  You can make, sell,
give away stencils to your hearts content.

4.  The model has always been, and was discussed with core kde developers
when we donated Kivio that we would supply one stencil set and make our money
on selling additional stencils.

5.  As stated, Kivio is rather complete, there are some usability things and
standards we want to do, some minor bug fixing and a few more features and
it's basically about as far as you care to take it.  What makes something
like Kivio valuable is the stencil sets, so I don't anticipate that Kivio
will require a lot of work other than keeping it up to date with the changes
in KDE for the near to medium future.

6.  Finally, let me state this again very clearly.  We are the project
maintainers for Kivio.  We expect to be involved in anything that people are
planning that involves Kivio.  We expect to keep Kivio up to date.  I don't
think I can be any more clear on this topic.

Kugar:

1.  We were asked to donate Kugar with the anticipation that others would get
involved in the project.  It's ironic that people want to take on Kivio, but
want to pull Kugar.  Kugar worked just fine when we donated it, if it isn't
working now it is due to changes in the libraries and we haven't had anyone
available to spend time on it recently.  Help here would be appreciated.

2.  Kugar is actually an excellent project for reports.  We have always said
a report designer would make it much more powerful, but anything that can
spit out the proper XML for Kugar could be used.

3.  Writing a report designer around Kugar would be an interesting project I
think, but I don't have the man power at the moment to dedicate to it,
although I would like to.  Keep in mind, that if I do it, then it will more
than likely be a commercial product so if someone has an itch on this, then
you might find it useful.

4.  Keep the perspective on Kugar.  It is the ability to rely on
infrastructure being available in the suite.  For an office suite it is a
unique and useful tool for the office place, but it does rely on someone
writing reports that fit the format.  This could be an interesting addition
to something like KDevelop or KDE Studio for example.

I certainly hope I've been clear on this.  I'm not interested in getting in
debates about our business model, but I'm happy to discuss anything about
this situation that isn't clear.

Shawn