List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: koffice/lib/kofficeui
From:       Thomas Zander <zander () planescape ! com>
Date:       2001-08-29 17:51:22

On Wed, Aug 29, 2001 at 07:26:14PM +0200, Werner Trobin wrote:

> Taking this discussion to a place where it belongs ;)
>
> Thomas Zander wrote:

> > > Your wish is my command, I just need a "spec" ;)
> >
> > My ideal ruler would behave like this:
> >
> > - on release insert tabstop.
>
> release or click doesn't change a lot

If you insert on click you will want to start a drag immidiately, so the
user can position the tabstop better (using the statusbar), effectively
inserting a tabstop on release :)

> > - on click on tabstop switch tabstop-style
>
> will be problematic unless we have some kind of "dragStartDisance"
> to prevent moving by accident

As is default with any drag vs click, right?

> > - double click on empty space brings up tabstops dia
> > - double click on a tabstop brings up a small dialog that allows the
> >   user to enter the tabstop position, type etc.
>
> Interesting, but why not open the dialog in both cases and switch
> to the tab (if any) found? This is what David plans, AFAIK.

That would be fine, but I understood that David wanted to jump to the
tab of the tabstops, not to the tabstop itself. But your option would
probably be faster to create ;)

> > - draging a tabstop shows position in status bar
>
> good idea
>
> > - dragging a tabstop out of the bar (1 mm is enough) deletes the tabstop.
>
> Not sure if 1mm should be enough. How exact do you move your mouse?
> Right now it's 50 pixels, which sounds reasonable to me. Maybe 20
> pixels, okay, but 1mm :}

Well, I had 2 problems with removing a tab. I did not get immidiate feedback if
I deleted a tab, and I have the impression I have to move my mouse very far to
get it to dissapear.
/me starting k-screenruler...
If the remove-immidiately option is possible the 20pixels would be great.  :)

> > - the tabstop is removed from display as soon as the mouse leaves the
> >   ruler, even if the mouse has not been released yet (i.e. immidiate feedback)
>
> The reason that such things aren't implemented are mainly performance
> considerations, I think. You don't want to do a lot of calculations
> or repainting on mouse move events. Of course it should be possible to
> do that.

> > - the MMB should _not_ insert a tabstop ;)
>
> Why not? :)

For consistency, and to keep it free for future functionality.
Or to turn it around, why did you make it to insert a tab now?

> > take care to allow the future addition of guides, which are normally created
> > by clicking on the ruler and then dragging the ruler to the desired position.
>
> Sorry, I don't get that last paragraph.

Try the above in kivio, it has guides.

They are just help-lines to help position objects. Its really great to align
objects, since the objects 'snap' to the line when they are in a certain limit
from the guide.
ps. there are both horizontal and vertical guides.