List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Zip library
From:       Martin Gallwey <gallwey () Sun ! COM>
Date:       2001-08-17 14:46:49

Hello, KOffice!

> The only reason we're not using ZIP at the moment is that ...  well I
> don't know any libzip (analogous to libz and libbz2).
>
> They say they are using ZIP already. How ? Can we share code ? That'd be
> great.

I wrote the zip library that we use in OpenOffice.org/StarOffice and it
can be found at:

http://xml.openoffice.org/source/browse/xml/package/

The source is split into three sections:

1. A C++ ZIP file API, based on the Java Zip API.
2. A higher level interface which provides a hierarchical view of the zip
file and a UNO (Universal Network Objects - our component model) interface
to access it.
3. UNO components which can read and write XML file manifests.

I'm not sure how much of it will be useful to you, but I am happy to help
you to use it. Code sharing is good!

> He's wrong about "we're the only ones interested in having files
> parsable by common tools" - that's the whole reason why we're using
> tar.gz and not a binary format anymore.

Cool, then we agree on practically everything :)

Martin

ps: Hi Karl-heinz!
--
{Star|Open} Office Developer / Hamburg