List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: wvWare 2
From:       "Dom Lachowicz" <cinamod () hotmail ! com>
Date:       2001-05-27 2:01:30

> > - How are we going to represent Unicode strings within the library?
> >   STL strings? (related: is iconv portable? I heard of some problems on
> >   FreeBSD)
>
>On systems with no iconv or broken iconv, you can use "libiconv" -
>this is what GLib does. Otherwise you have to maintain your own
>codeset conversion tables, which I'm told is basically insanity.
>(Though it might make sense if you only had one or two codesets to
>worry about.)

Hi guys,

libiconv is a tremendous asset. I'd really like to use an iconv
implementation here. It's quite reliable and very portable - both wvWare 1.0
and AbiWord use it. Abi is known to run on about 6 different Unices and
win32, be, mac, qnx, etc... wvWare is known to run on a superset of Abi's
supported platforms (os/2, s/390, etc...) As I've said, both use iconv, so
it's quite portable.

So what do we do to represent strings? Using stl strings isn't a bad idea.
We can't use something like QString directly, but maybe we want to mimick
its behavior. Abi has some UCS2, UTF8, and C string classes internally that
are quite generic and not related to any particular platform or
implementation - very vanilla and generic C++ code. I think that maybe if we
"beef" those classes up a bit, they could be put to good use here.

Dom