List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Scripting status for koffice?
From:       Simon Hausmann <sh () caldera ! de>
Date:       2001-01-03 10:37:46

Hi,

I do believe that for scripting in KOffice we should use the combination
of DCOP and python. Please everyone have a quick look at
kdenonbeta/python/test/ . IMHO it's beautiful :-) (Thanks to Torben!)

Those bindings are in pretty early stages, but they are a nice beginning,
IMHO, while still being already very powerful ! (there is marshalling/
demarshalling support for most data types, what's missing are structured
types like QRect, QPoint, etc. ) . What's also missing is server support,
meaning support for writing dcop server objects in python, but it appears
to be rather complicated (I once tried, but failed when it came to
demarshalling the method arguments and turn them into python types) .
But anyway, server support doesn't appear to be thaaat important for koffice
scripting, to me. What do you think?

Another argument for using this combination is that we already have support
for it in the framework (the koffice libraries) :-) . Even though it's just
kind of basic stuff it allows quite some scripting based on actions, and
applications can easily extend this to export application specific
functionality (see kspread,kpresenter) .

Bye,
 Simon