List:       koffice-devel
Subject:    Re: Krayon & KIllustrator
From:       John Califf <jcaliff () compuzone ! net>
Date:       2000-11-20 22:26:19

Thomas wrote:

> John, while you are right in a lot of points here I think that the original
> comment was directed at the user interface, where the color requestor
> was a quick refrence to where Adobe Photoshop and Adobe Illustrator differ most.
>
> The point I think you should consider is that the 2 appications can be embedded
> as parts into each other and should not differ to much if you switch from
> one application to another. It looks kind of wierd when I click a krayon part
> in a KIllustrator document and my interface is changed beyond recognition.
>
> At the moment the Krayon interface is totally different from any KOffice app,
> while I believe you have good reasons to do so, the user is left with 2
> learning curves.
>
> Just trying to give my perspective while changing the GUI is still an option ;)

Making the Krayon interface more like other koffice apps is fairly easy
-
just simplifying away the tabbed view into sdi documents and popping out
the sidebar into a dialog or something.  This is something to consider.
First, at least one other app (killustrator makes the most sense) needs
to allow krayon as an embeddable part so that embedding krayon for
editing bitmapped graphics can be tested.  Then I can see how it
actually looks and works.  Killustrator already has some way of
referencing the bitmapped graphics it can put into a structured drawing,
and it is a matter allowing krayon to be a part for those.  It would be
interesting to see how the Kill. window changes when Krayon takes over.

I don't see the interface being different would matter much, though
there is no way to know for sure without testing it in context.  Anyway,
there is only one document per main window in krayon as is, even though
additional images you might create as "scratch" sheets or which you
might import are allowed.  It's not like multiple koffice documents are
in a single view - just multiple images.  Whatever you load or save is
the document.  Does this make sense?

I am not so opposed to the interface changes you recommend, though, that
I would resist if there really is an incompatibility in using the child
document mechanism.

Thanks,

John